Challenge or appeal your Council Tax bill

If you feel you should not be liable for Council Tax, think your property should be exempt or that the amount charged is incorrect, you have the right of appeal.

The right of appeal and the process is set out in legislation.

  1. Email or write to the Revenues and Benefits Service using the contact details on this page.
  2. Explain what you are appealing against and give reasons why you are appealing.
  3. We'll consider your appeal and write to you to let you know our decision.
  4. If you're not happy with our decision, you have a further right of appeal to an independent tribunal within 2 months of being notified of our decision, or 2 months from your initial appeal if we haven't considered it in that time.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment or part payment of Council Tax. However, if your appeal is successful, any overpayment will be refunded.

You can also have the right to challenge your Council Tax band.