Support for starting a business
If you're starting a business, here's some information on where you can access support.
Start Smart programme
Business Growth Hub, in partnership with Rochdale Borough Council, has launched its new Start Smart programme.
The programme is designed to support Greater Manchester residents who have recently started their own business, want to start their own business, have recently become self-employed or want to find out if self-employment is right for them.
FREE support through workshops, events and one-to-one specialist advice includes:
- Analysis of business idea and exploration of the viability
- Advice on how self-employment may impact personal circumstances
- Legalities of becoming self-employed or starting a business
- Business and cash flow planning
- Advice on where to access grants and finance support
- Recruiting and managing staff
- New product development
PeoplePlus Enterprise Hub
The PeoplePlus Enterprise Hub is an online learning tool. Sign up and you'll have access to a mix of expert articles, videos, blogs, podcasts, guides and downloads covering all stages of starting and growing a business.
With your own personal log-in and password, you can personalise the Hub to your own requirements and ensure that you maximise its value to you and your business.
Other support for new businesses
Here's a list of some of the support available for new businesses.
- Ask About Business - support with business ideas, funding, running your business and more.
- Co-operatives UK - help if you want to start your own co-operative, including a handy guide to the process.
- FranchisingWorks - free support, advice and funding to those who are interested in supported self-employment but are open-minded to the type of business they would like to operate or manage. Work from home, work from a van or even run your very own management style business.
- GOV.UK - a range of advice on business and self-employed topics.
- HM Revenue & Customs tutorial - free online tutorial aimed at anyone starting their own business and covers all the basic tax and National Insurance information.
- Prince's Trust - provides specialist support for unemployed people aged between 18-30 who have a business idea. The programme will help you work out if your business idea is viable and if self-employment is right for you.
- Rochdale Development Agency (RDA) - offers a comprehensive package of support to businesses looking to set up, expand or invest in the borough. Services provided include locating property and land, identifying available business support services and help with recruitment and training needs.