Health and safety for businesses

What we do

Some workplaces will be the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), rather than the council, depending on the nature of the work carried out.

We can advise you on who is the health and safety enforcing authority for your workplace.

Businesses we're responsible for

We inspect:

  • Shops and offices.
  • Hotels and leisure facilities.
  • Warehouses.
  • Builders’ merchants.
  • Steel stockholders.
  • Residential homes.
  • Nursing agencies​.

Our services

We do the following:

  • ​​Inspect workplaces to ensure compliance with health and safety law, in accordance with government priorities.
  • Use educational techniques as well as legal means to achieve compliance.
  • Investigate accidents to employees or others which occur in workplaces.
  • Investigate complaints about health, safety or welfare in work premises - such as reportable accidents, dangerous occurrences and reportable diseases.
  • Register particular premises such as skin piercing.
  • Act as a consultee in relation to public safety for applications under the Licensing Act.
  • Give advice to customers and all stakeholders on health and safety issues.
  • Work with other health professionals locally and nationally.
  • Digital and aerial installation.