Short breaks give a disabled child or young person the opportunity to spend time away from their family, taking part in leisure activities or simply relaxing. This also gives families a break from their caring responsibilities.
Short breaks can include:
- Befriending schemes.
- Play schemes and youth clubs.
- Aromatherapy sessions.
- Circus skills sessions.
- Short 'holidays'.
- Day trips.
- Sporting activities.
Short Breaks Statement
We've a duty to provide breaks from caring for families of disabled children. As part of this we must also publish a Short Breaks Statement so that families know:
- The range of short breaks available.
- How these services can be accessed.
- How the services will meet the needs of families with disabled children.
- The eligibility criteria.
We listen to the views of disabled young people and work closely with parents and carers to ensure our services meet their needs.