Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

House to house collections licence

Coronavirus (COVID-19): latest information about licences and registration.

House to house collection licences can be valid for up to 1 year. You must apply for a licence if you want to collect money or goods (that you plan to sell at a later date) from people’s homes for charity.

Do I need a licence?

You must apply for a house to house collections licence if you're a:

  • Small charity.
  • Local group, for example scouts, girl guides.

Some of the larger well-known charities for example, Christian Aid, Help the Aged, have a Charity Commission exemption from having to apply for a permit, but most of the smaller and particularly local groups and organisations need a permit before they can collect money or items.


You must be a fit and proper person and let us know details of items and households collected from.

How to apply

You don't have to pay for a house to house collection permit. To apply for a house to house collections licence complete the application form and return it to us.

You must:

  • Apply 20 working days before you plan to start collecting.
  • Include the names of any people who will be collecting on behalf of the charity or organisation; these are known as the 'authorised collectors'.
  • Include your own name if you're planning to be an authorised collector.

Once you've filled out the form you can either:

  • Email the completed form to 
  • Post it to Rochdale Borough Council Licensing, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 1XU.  
  • Bring it in to the Licensing Unit (see contact section for address and opening hours).

Application for a house to house collection licence (101kb pdf)


Please contact Rochdale Borough Council in the first instance (see contact section for how to get in touch).

You have a right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office within 14 days of the decision.

Fines and penalties

If you don't get a licence before starting house to house collections you could face:

  • Up to 6 months in prison.
  • A fine of up to £1,000.

If you or anyone collecting on your behalf doesn't give a police officer their name, address and signature when asked to, they could be fined up to £200.


Licensing Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU