Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Street collections licence

If you want to collect money or sell items on the street for charity, you will need a Street Collection Licence.

Do I need a licence?

You must apply for a Street Collection Licence if you want to

  • Collect money in a public place
  • Sell items for charity in a public place

Street collections are usually made by charities and take place in a town centre on busy shopping days.

You don't need a street collection licence if you're selling or collecting as part of a business.


It's not just 'streets' that are covered - you'll need a licence if you collect money in public areas, for example a shop doorway or car park.

How to apply

There is no fee for a Street Collection Licence.

Application for a Street Collection Licence ​(86kb pdf)

Once you've filled out the form you can either

  • Send completed forms to 
  • Post it to Rochdale Borough Council Licensing, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU  
  • Bring it in to the Licensing Unit (see contact section for address and opening hours)

A return form must be completed following the collection and returned to us. This form will be sent to you once your application form has been received


Please contact Rochdale Borough Council in the first instance (see contact section for how to get in touch).

If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office. You must do this within 14 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Fines and penalties

It's illegal to collect money or sell articles in a public place for the benefit of a charity without getting a Street Collection Licence. A 'public place' is a 'place where the public has access'.

You could be fined £200 if you collect money for charity without a licence.


01706 924114

Licensing counter drop-in sessions, Number One Riverside​

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
9am-11am and 2pm-4pm

Friday ​9am-11am

Licensing Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU