Walking is simple, free and one of the easiest ways to get more active, lose weight and become healthier. Our bodies are designed to move. Walking for 30 minutes on 5 or more days a week can yield many health benefits.
Walking in groups can reduce anxiety, depression and loneliness. It can also promote friendships, increase confidence, self-esteem and vitality, boosting your quality of life.
Benefits of regular walking
Walking at any pace can provide the following benefits:
- Halve the risk of heart disease
- Improve muscle strength
- Improve levels of cholesterol
- Reduce weight and maintain your weight loss
- Helps to reduce the risk of developing diabetes
- Reduce the risk of bowel and colon cancer
- Relieve depression and anxiety
- Helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis and improve co-ordination and balance