Name the peregrine falcon chicks competition
Closing date for entries: midnight on Monday, 10 June 2019
Enter our 'Name the peregrine falcon chicks' competition and you could win a voucher for the Clock Tower Dining Room and a tour of Rochdale Town Hall.
Following the hatching of 3 peregrine falcon chicks in the falcons' nest at Rochdale Town Hall, we're now inviting people to name the chicks.
Up to 3 winning names will be used on our social media accounts at
Names you can enter
We're looking for falcon chick names that:
Relate to the history of Rochdale Town Hall, either through a person's name or a quirky fact.
Have a bird-related theme.
Are named after someone who has made a positive contribution to the town or borough.
How to enter the competition
To enter our 'Name the peregrine falcon chicks' competition:
You can submit as many names as you want. However, you'll only be eligible for one prize.
You'll need to send your names to us by midnight on Monday, 10 June 2019, by either:
Winners and prizes for the competition
- We'll select up to 3 winners to each receive a prize of a voucher for the Clock Tower Dining Room and a tour of Rochdale Town Hall.
- We'll notify winners using the same method they applied
by Monday, 17 June 2019.
- Winners will be required to email
firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us on Twitter using #Rochfalcons to claim their prize.
All prizes must be claimed by midnight on Monday, 1 July 2019.
- We'll aim to post prizes to the winners' houses before Monday, 8 July 2019 or as soon as possible after this date.
Terms and conditions of the competition
Your entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- No further entries will be considered after the closing date.
- The prizes are non-transferable, non-refundable and can't be exchanged for cash.
- The names of the winners will appear on our publicity.
- We reserve the right to modify or withdraw the competition at any time and alter the winning entries without notice and without being held liable to pay any compensation or damages, except at the management's discretion.
- We won't accept responsibility for entries lost, damaged or delayed in the post or due to computer error in transit.
- The winners agree to the use of their name and photograph in our literature and any post-winning publicity.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into over this decision.
The birds are most active at the start of the breeding season from February and March. Egg-laying typically occurs by the end of March to early April with hatching usually occurring during the first week of May.
- The 3 young chicks hatched in May 2019. They are due to be ringed on Thursday, 23 May 2019 by the British Trust for Ornithology. The ringing is undertaken safely, and within the law, by qualified experts. It enables them to keep track of the birds over the coming months and years.
- Peregrines are the world's fastest living creatures, often reaching speeds of 200mph in stoop.
- They feed off medium-sized birds, such as wading birds, pigeons and small ducks.
- 60 years ago the birds nearly died out across the northern hemisphere. The numbers recovered and there are estimated to be 1,500 breeding pairs in the UK.
- Peregrines are increasingly found breeding on tall buildings in towns and cities, as well as on ledges and cliffs. The peregrine is afforded the highest degree of legal protection under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
- It's an offence to intentionally take, injure or kill a peregrine or to take, damage or destroy its nest, eggs or young. It's also an offence to intentionally or recklessly disturb the birds close to their nest during the breeding season. Violation of the law can attract fines up to £5,000 per offence and/or a prison sentence of up to 6 months.
Previous winners of the falcon chicks naming competitions
Thanks to all those who entered the name the falcon chick competitions.
The winning falcon chick names for 2018 are:
|Names of falcon chicks
||Class 4 at Smithy Bridge Primary School
The winning falcon chick names for 2017 are:
|Names of falcon chicks
Class 12 Smithy Bridge Primary School