Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Where your Council Tax goes

​​​​​​​Council Tax is set by local councils to help pay for local services delivered by the council. We also collect money on behalf of Greater Manchester services although we're not responsible for running these services.

Rochdale Borough Council sets the annual charge for Council Tax for each band, based on criteria set by the government and then issues each household with an annual bill.

Local services your Council Tax goes towards

The Council Tax you pay goes towards the cost of providing a wide range of services to the people of Rochdale. Some of these services include, but are not limited to:

  • Adult Social Care
  • Administration of a wide range of licences and permits
  • Community development
  • Consumer advice and protection
  • Elections, registrar of births, deaths and marriages
  • Funeral services at cemeteries and crematoria
  • Health and social care to the vulnerable
  • Leisure facilities
  • Libraries
  • Maintenance of roads
  • Museums and art galleries
  • Parks and open spaces
  • Refuse collection and waste recycling
  • Schools and nursery facilities
  • Street cleaning
  • Youth services

Read the latest council budget

Greater Manchester services your Council Tax goes towards

As well as the services provided directly by the council, your Council Tax contributes towards Greater Manchester services. These are called precepts and have always appeared on your bill. 

Council Tax leaflet

Download the Council Tax leaflet to find out about:

  • How we spend your money
  • Council tax bands
  • Discounts, exemptions and support
Download the Council Tax leaflet 2021–2022 (813kb pdf)

What to do if you're unhappy about services provided

You're legally obliged to pay your Council Tax even if you're unhappy with some or all of the services provided by us.

Council Tax isn’t a payment for individual services it's a tax on the occupation or ownership of property and only partly funds council services – the majority of what we spend is funded by business rates and government grants. In order to be able to provide local services such as schools, care for the elderly, and road maintenance it's vital that Council Tax is paid by all residents who are liable for it.

If you're unhappy with any of the services provided you can complain by getting in touch with us. Whilst the frustration caused by a lack of refuse collection, gritting of minor roads or any other service is understandable residents cannot legally withhold payment of Council Tax or claim a refund for these reasons.

If payment is withheld then action for the recovery of unpaid Council Tax will be taken.


0300 303 8870

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Postal address
Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale OL16 9AJ