The UK Youth Parliament aims to give a voice to the young people of the UK between the ages of 11-18.
What is the UK Youth Parliament?
UK Youth Parliament (UKYP) provides opportunities for 11-18 year olds to be elected as a member of the youth parliament (MYP) so they can bring about social change.
UKYP conduct a number of democratic activities across the year. This includes:
- House of Commons debates
- Regional meetings
- Regular dialogue with ministers, including the prime minister and opposition spokespeople
- Inputs to policy and programme development
More about the UK Youth Parliament - includes aims, goals and number of
Who are our members of youth parliament?
Adam Rennie is the current Member of Youth Parliament for Rochdale borough.
Ismail Malik is the current Deputy Member of Youth Parliament for Rochdale borough.
Adam is 15 years old and attends Hollingworth Academy. He was elected on Tuesday, 11 February 2020. Adam's manifesto points include:
- Making public transport more accessible and affordable
- Creating safer communities
- Offering better mental health support for all
View MYPs across Greater Manchester and the UK.
What does our member of youth parliament do?
The member of youth parliament for Rochdale borough:
Rochdale youth voice- more about Rochdale Borough Youth Council, Youth Cabinet and Children's Champion.
- Supports and speaks on behalf of Rochdale Borough Youth Council and Youth Cabinet.
- Works alongside Rochdale Borough Children’s Champion to help improve the lives of children and young people in Rochdale borough.
- Attends and chairs meetings for Rochdale Borough Youth Council, who meet every 4 months and Rochdale Borough Youth Cabinet who currently meet weekly.
- Attends and participates in Youthforia – a regional youth forum for the North West.
- Has enthusiasm, energy and takes an interest in the rights of children and young people and works to get this message to all children and young people of the borough of Rochdale.
How can I stand as a candidate in the MYP elections?
Applications to stand as a candidate in the 2020 MYP elections closed on Friday, 29 November 2019.
- You'll need to be aged 11-17 and live in Rochdale borough.
- Download and complete the member of youth parliament application form below and either:
- Email it to
- Post it to Rochdale Borough Youth Cabinet, Matthew Moss Youth Centre, Matthew Moss Lane, Rochdale OL11 3LU.
- Make sure we receive your application by Friday, 29 November 2019.
- We'll let you know if you're shortlisted and what the next steps are by Tuesday, 10 December 2019.