Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Home based childcare

​​​​​Home based childcare can be a good option for families with complicated childcare needs. Home child carers are most commonly nannies or au pairs, but can include maternity nurses and babysitters.

Search for local home based childcare​

Ofsted inspections

People who care for children in the child’s own home, like nannies or au pairs, do not usually need to register with Ofsted. But they can choose to join the voluntary strand of the Ofsted Childcare register.

  • Ofsted will carry out the necessary checks before deciding whether to grant a registration.
  • There are no legal regulations for babysitters. The NSPCC recommends that they should be over 16.
  • Ofsted will regularly inspect all registered nannies and au pairs, to assess their strengths and highlight areas for improvement.
  • If they are registered they will have a URN (Unique Reference Number).
  • Go to the Ofsted site - search by name, address or Unique Reference Number. Your chosen provider should be able to provide you with the Unique Reference Number. 


0300 303 8801

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Family Information Service
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU