Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Careers in childcare

​​​​​​​​​Anyone who wishes to work with children, the elderly or other adults who might be classed as vulnerable are required to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

Apply for a DBS check at GOV.UK

Work experience

Before you commit yourself to a career in childcare, it may be helpful to get some work experience with the age group of the children you are interested in working with. Local playgroups, pre-school nurseries, children's centres and holiday play schemes may welcome volunteers.

What qualifications do I need?

  • There are a range of recognised qualifications, contact the Training Team for more information.
  • The Department for Education requires that at least 50% of staff working in a childcare setting have a recognised level 2 qualification.


01706 927809

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4pm.

Training Team
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1YD