A copy certificate is a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage register entry.
Since 1837 we've been responsible for recording all the births, deaths and marriages which take place in Rochdale borough.
Certificates you can get from Rochdale Register Office
You can get birth, death and marriage copy certificates from us for the following areas:
If the birth, death or marriage took place outside of the borough, you'll need to apply for a copy certificate from the council responsible for the area where it took place, instead.
Apply for a copy of a certificate
You can apply for a copy birth, death or marriage certificate using either our priority service or our standard service, depending on how quickly you need the certificate
Please note: central government set the fees for copy certificates.
Priority service copy certificate application
If you need a copy certificate same day or next day, apply using our priority service. Available on working days only.
- Either complete and submit the relevant application form below or ring us using the contact details on this page to apply for a copy certificate.
- Ring us to pay the application fee by credit or debit card. Please wait at least 2 hours after your submit your form before calling. You'll need to pay within 2 working days or we'll cancel your application. It costs:
If we receive your payment before 3pm, you can collect your certificate from the register office on the same working day. If you pay after 3pm, you can collect your certificate the next working day.
Alternatively, we can send your copy certificate to your address using 1st class post within 24 hours of receiving your payment.
- £35 if you use the online form to apply.
- £40 if you ring us to apply.
Standard service copy certificate application
To get a copy certificate within 5 working days, apply using our standard service.
- Complete and submit the relevant application form below.
- Ring us to pay the application fee of £11 by credit or debit card. Please wait at least 2 hours after you submit your form before calling. You'll need to pay within 2 working days or we'll cancel your application.
- Once you've paid, you can collect your certificate from the register office after 5 working days.
- Alternatively, we can send your copy certificate to your address using 2nd class post. You should receive it within 15 working days of making the payment.
Application forms to apply for copy certificates
Use the relevant online application form below to apply for a copy certificate using our priority or standard service.
Information you'll need to apply for a copy certificate
You'll need to tell us your name and address, your reasons for wanting the certificate and your relationship to the person or people listed on the certificate.
You'll also need to know:
The full name of the person, date of birth, place of birth and names of the parents and mother's maiden name.
The full name, marital status and occupation of the deceased, the date of death and the place of death.
The full names and ages of both people at the time of the wedding, date of the wedding and place of the wedding.