Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Support and advice for armed forces personnel and their families

​​​​​​​If you've served in the armed forces and need some help, the following organisations and information might help you.

Veterans' Gateway

Veterans' Gateway logo. The Veterans’ Gateway aims to be the first point of contact for veterans or their families who need support. They'll help to find you the right support – no matter where you are or what you need.

Advisors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and many advisors are veterans themselves.

Find help and support on the Veterans’ Gateway

Job and employment support

Rochdale Armed Forces Corporate Covenant support

​​​​​​​​​The following organisations have signed the Rochdale Armed Forces Corporate Covenant. This means they offer support and special offers to ex, serving and reserve members of the armed forces.

Mental health support

  • Contact your GP - if you need immediate help, contact your GP or attend your local accident and emergency department.​​​​
  • TogetherAll - previously Big White Wall. A safe online community of people who are anxious, down or not coping who support and help each other by sharing what’s troubling them, guided by trained professionals.
  • Combat Stress - 24-hour Helpline for the military community and their families who are seeking help and advice for mental health issues.
  • Samaritans - confidential emotional support 24/7 to those experiencing despair, distress or suicidal feelings​.

Help finding a home

People leaving the armed forces usually have priority over the vast majority of those who apply for housing.

  • Find a local home - options for buying, renting or finding a home in the borough of Rochdale.
  • Advice and support through the Royal British Legion - we've an arrangement with the local Royal British Legion, whereby all armed forces applicants for housing are referred to them. The British Legion provides advocacy and assists them with a range of issues in addition to housing advice, for example finance and health.
  • Citizens Advice - housing options for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families
  • The MOD Army - provides subsidised accommodation for its servicemen and women. Visit their website for details of service personnel entitlement to service accommodation and removals for personal possessions on assignment to a new area.
  • The Naval Families Federation - provides details of service families accommodation, short term accommodation and other housing options.
  • The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) - offers advice and assistance to anyone eligible for their help, whether they are serving or ex-service, or a family member of someone with a service connection. The SSAFA also provide housing and residential home facilities.
  • The Veterans UK site - provides advice to ex-service personnel who are homeless or are threatened with homelessness.

Health and wellbeing support

  • Do you need immediate mental health help? - find 24 hour services.
  • Priority NHS care for veterans - when servicemen and women leave the armed forces, their healthcare is the responsibility of the NHS. All veterans are entitled to priority access to NHS hospital care for any condition, as long as it's related to their service, whether or not they receive a war pension. 
  • Pennine Care Trust Military Veterans' Service - provide mental health support to ex-service personnel for conditions including depression, alcohol and substance misuse, anger problems and post-traumatic stress disorder.
  • Access mental heath services - Rochdale and District MIND (including Bury and NE Lancs) promote positive mental health and well being to anyone living in the borough of Rochdale.
  • Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA), Bereaved Families Support Group The Bereaved Families Support Group provides emotional and social support and a signposting service for those families requiring welfare support to the families of members of the armed forces who have died in service whatever the circumstances.
  • Army welfare and support - provides a range of welfare support to families while soldiers are away. This support is provided to both Regular Army Families and to those of mobilised members of the Territorial Army or the Regular Reserve.
  • The Navy Families Federation - provide details of organisations that specialise in advising family members.

Benefits and financial advice

  • Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support - War Disablement Pension, War Widow’s Pension or War Widower’s Pension will not be taken into account when calculating income for Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax support.
  • Council Tax discounts and exemptions​ - members of the armed forces may be eligible for a Council Tax discount.
  • Discretionary Crisis Fund - a fund aimed at helping people who find themselves in a crisis. If you're leaving or have just left the armed forces, and are moving in to new accommodation then the fund may be able to help you acquire essential household items.
  • The Royal British Legion - offers a range of financial assistance services, including benefits and money advice, grants and loans. If you have a compensation claim arising from your Service, the Legion can help you through the process under the War Pensions Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.
  • The MOD Army - provides details about cash grants available to dependents of soldiers who die in service.
  • The Royal Navy - provides guidelines for serving personnel arranging a marriage or who are pregnant, and information about making a will. They also advise serving personnel which organisations to speak to about a range of financial and legal issues including debts and free legal advice for serving people and their families.
  • Armed forces pensions on GOV.UK - provides a full range of information for people injured, disabled or bereaved by the service, including details of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, War Disablement Pensions and Armed Forces Pensions.
  • Service Personnel and Veterans Agency pensions forms - use these forms when claiming pensions under Armed Forces Pension Schemes 75 and 05. 
  • The Army Families Federation (AFF) - independent of the Army, the AFF offers confidential advice on a range of welfare issues including money matters and family life. AFF works at a local level directly with families and local command.
  • Money, debt and benefit advice - ways to manage and save your money.

Useful organisations for Armed Forces families

There are a number of different organisations you can speak to for help or support.

Name of organisationService​
Veterans' Gateway​The Veterans’ Gateway aims to be the first point of contact for veterans or their families. They'll help to find you the right support or service – no matter where you are or what you need.
103 Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers)

Lieutenant Colonel Rich Jordan
01744 697820

Representing the Ministry of Defence across the 10 boroughs of Greater Manchester.

Army Families F​ederation (AFF)

AFF contacts

AFF is the voice of the Army family. It empowers, acts as an advocate and an expert witness to promote a quality of life, which reflects the Armed Forces Covenant.

Get in touch with your Regional Manager or Liaison Officer if you need help around any issue. You can access confidential advice without revealing your identity.

​Blind Veterans UK

0800 389 7979

​The charity is reaching out to t​he tens of thousands of ex-Service men and women who are now battling severe sight loss, who could be eligible for support but who currently do not realise it. It doesn’t matter when or how a veteran lost their sight, or when they served, Blind Veterans UK can help. If you care for a veteran with sight loss, or know someone who does, request Blind Veterans UK’s free, lifelong support.
Commando Veterans AssociationFind information regarding commandos including on units, campaigns and equipment insignia.
Fusiliers Association LancashireFind details of local branches, events and contact information.
Healthcare for the armed forc​es commu​nity​Healthcare information and support for the UK's 10 million-strong armed forces community, including serving personnel, reservists, families and veterans.
Military Veterans ServiceAn NHS psychological therapy service working with British ex-service personnel, across the North West. Their aim is to improve the mental health and emotional wellbeing of ex-service personnel and their families.
Rochdale Fusiliers Association

Tom Bailey
01706 667151 / 07957 766470

Goals are to maintain contact with ex-members of the Regiment and to provide help towards their welfare needs.
​SSAFA Forces Help

0800 731 4880
​SSAFA helps the armed forces community by  providing direct support to individuals in need of physical or emotional care.
​​​​​The Royal ​British Legion
0161 638 9247
The Royal British Legion, Lowry House, 17 Marble Street, Manchester M2 3AW

A voice for the armed forces community.
Veterans in Communities

01706 833180
​Veterans in Communities (VIC) is an East Lancashire based Armed Forces charity that works across Rossendale, Pendle, Burnley, Hyndburn, Ribble, Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale.

VIC supports those who have served in any of the branches of the armed forces, emergency services and their families who have or are having difficulties with returning to ‘Civvy Street’.
Veterans UK

Provides pay, pension and support services to both military personnel and the veterans community, directly serving around 900,000 members of the Armed Forces community.​


01706 924279

Phone: Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

Out of hours emergencies​

Number One Riverside
Floor 2
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU