You can no longer apply for H bar markings in Rochdale borough.
H bar markings are white lines that are marked on the road across a dropped kerb. The lines highlight to other road users that they shouldn't block access to off-road parking areas, such as driveways and garages.
H bar markings are advisory lines for other road users and it's not illegal to park on them. H bar markings have not been successful in preventing vehicles from parking across dropped kerbs in the borough which is why we've decided not to provide or maintain them any longer.
Stopping vehicles parking across your drive
If you want to prevent vehicles from blocking your access to your drive or garage, you can:
- Apply for a dropped kerb. It's illegal for vehicles to park on them. Dropped kerb information including how to apply.
- Report your blocked access to the police by calling 101 if you already have a dropped kerb.
Actions you should not take
- Put traffic cones in the road or pavement - this is illegal as it's classed as an obstruction to the highway.
- Cause damage to any vehicles that are blocking your access.
- Try to move the vehicle blocking your access - this is an offence.