Apply to hold a street party for the King's Coronation

Neighbours and communities across the UK are invited to share food and fun together in a nationwide act of celebration and friendship at The Coronation Big Lunch on Sunday, 7 May 2023.

From a cup of tea with a neighbour to a street party, The Coronation Big Lunch brings the celebrations to your neighbourhood and is a great way to get to know your community a little better.

The UK will mark the Coronation of The King and The Queen Consort with a 3-day bank holiday weekend from Saturday, 6 May 2023-Monday, 8 May 2023.

How to apply to hold a Coronation street party

The deadline to apply to hold a Coronation street party is 11.59pm on Monday, 20 March 2023. Any applications received after the deadline will not be processed.

To apply to hold a Coronation street party on Sunday, 7 May 2023:

  1. Speak with your neighbours and residents who'll be affected by the road closure to make sure they haven't got any objections.
  2. If your neighbours don't have any objections, complete the online form.
  3. We'll aim to get in touch within 7 working days.

Apply to hold a street party for the King's Coronation

Preparing for your Coronation street party

If your application is approved, you can start preparing for the Coronation street party.

Get involved with national Coronation celebrations

There are many ways you can get involved in His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort’s Coronation plans.

You can share details of your street party, enter the Coronation Concert ticket ballot, and access useful ideas and materials to help you with your Coronation celebrations.

Traffic management and road closure signs

There will be no fees for road closures for street parties held on Sunday, 7 May 2023.

We'll also loan traffic management and signs to the event organiser free of charge.

We'll train the event organiser on how to set up and deploy traffic management to close the road correctly and safely.

The event organiser will be required to store the equipment off the road in a location that can be easily accessed by our staff for delivery and collection.

Liability insurance

Event organisers are not required to have their event covered by public liability insurance.

However, we strongly advise that you obtain appropriate liability insurance cover for a minimum limit of indemnity of £2 million.

Alcohol, hot food and music licences

You won't need a licence for your street party unless you're planning to charge neighbours for entry, sell alcohol, provide hot food or drinks after 11pm, or if you're providing amplified music that isn't of a background nature.

If you need a licence, you can apply for a Temporary Events Notice (TEN). We strongly advise that you apply at least 10 working days before the event. There are strict timescales that need to be met before a Temporary Events Notice application is accepted.

Risk assessment

You should not need a risk assessment for your street party.

As long as you give thought to the needs of everybody attending the street party, then reasonable precautions and safety practices should be sufficient.