Work that needs approval
These are the most common proposals that require building regulations approval.
If you're still unsure whether you need approval, please contact our Building Control Team.
- The majority of house extensions.
- New houses and apartments.
- Conversions of buildings to houses or apartments.
- Garage or outbuilding conversions to form a room.
- Loft conversions.
- Installation of roof lights or dormer windows.
- Internal structural alterations, such as removal of a load-bearing wall or chimney breast.
- Some electrical work to domestic properties.
- Internal plastering and re-rendering works where more than 25 per cent of the wall area is affected.
- A new opening or widening of an opening in a load-bearing wall.
- Installing new baths, showers, sinks or toilets which involve new drainage or waste plumbing.
- Altering the position of a staircase.
- Window and door replacement (Unless installed by FENSA, CERTASS or BSI approved installer).
- Construction of new chimneys, flues or the replacement of flue linings
- Underpinning of existing foundations.
- Installation of a septic tank (Existing septic tanks that discharge to a surface water source must be replaced with a package treatment plant or similar before January 2020. A Planning Application is also required for this work).
- Cavity wall insulation.
- Installation of new heating (other than electric and subject to certain exceptions).
- The majority of work relating to non-domestic buildings, or conversions to non-domestic buildings.