Who should pay the bill
The list below will help you work out who's liable to pay. The person who fits the highest position on the list is the one who usually has to pay.
- Someone who owns and lives in their home - known as the freeholder
- Someone who has a lease and has a legal right to live in a property for a fixed period of time
- A private tenant or a tenant of a registered social landlord
- Anyone who lives in the property with the permission of any of the above
- Someone who lives in the property without permission - this includes squatters
- The owner if the property is empty.
If more than one person appears in the same position in the list, they're all responsible. You get one bill between you but you're all equally responsible for paying the whole bill.
If you're still unsure about who's responsible for paying the bill, contact us.