Housing for care leavers

If you're still in care, we'll provide you with accommodation up to the age of 18. If you're over 18, your personal adviser will help you choose the most appropriate accommodation to meet your needs.

You can view some of your options and the support we offer on this page.

Setting up home allowance

When you move into your own house or flat, you'll receive an allowance of £2,000 to help you set up. You will not receive this if you move into a taster flat or supported accommodation as they're fully furnished.

This is not a lot of money when trying to buy everything for your first home. It’s important that you spend some time working out what you need and how much it all costs. You can ask for help from your foster carer, personal advisor, residential worker, social worker or someone else you feel comfortable with.

Taster flats

Taster flats allow you to live on your own for a short time. 

This will help you decide whether you're ready to rent your own house or flat.

Supported accommodation

Supported accommodation is a stepping stone to renting your own house or flat.

You can get help with day-to-day tasks such as budgeting, cooking and shopping. Most people tend to stay in supported accommodation for between 6 months and 2 years.


When you're ready, talk to your social worker or personal advisor who will help you decide whether it's the right time to find independent accommodation.