Education and jobs for cared for children


Many care leavers go on to achieve amazing things in higher education - so can you.

Financial support

We'll provide you with financial support to go to university.

This includes:

  • Paying for basic halls of residence or accommodation all year, not just during term time
  • Giving you a weekly allowance

Entry requirements and grades

Entry requirements can vary. Some universities will want you to get a certain number of UCAS points, others will want you to have studied a specific subject beforehand. For example, to study medicine, most universities will require you to have studied relevant subjects, such as chemistry and biology.

Although entry requirements are there for a reason, don't be put off straight away. If you don't have the right grades or aren't studying the right subjects, contact the college or university. There might be some flexibility, or they might be able to suggest a course that is similar but has different entry requirements.

If you need specific grades for a course, and you really want to study it but your grades don’t quite make it, you could also think about applying next year and retaking your exams. Have a chat with your personal advisor about your options. These might include other study or training options like apprenticeships that may still take you to university later.

Applying for university as a care leaver

Everyone applies to university through UCAS.

Please consider ticking the box on your UCAS application to let the university or college you're applying to know you've been in care. This is confidential and will not be used against you. 

It does, however, let the right person at the university or college know so they can tell you what additional support you're entitled to. Many universities offer schemes, bursaries and support just for care leavers - you don't have to accept the support you're entitled to, however, it's still useful to know what exactly is available before turning it down.

How to apply for university on the UCAS website

Information and advice for going to university

Here are some organisations that provide information and advice about university:

  • Propel - a charity helping care leavers attend university
  • GOV.UK higher education - information on all aspects of finding and applying for university
  • UCAS - how to apply for university, when to apply and what you'll need