How we decide on applications
After a planning application has been submitted we'll publish
the application on this website for people to view and comment on
it. You can
register to be kept informed as the application progresses.
- We'll write to any affected property owners
inviting them to comment.
- Where relevant, we'll advertise the application on site and in
the local media.
- We'll visit the site and surroundings to assess the impact of
- We'll assess the proposal against national and local planning
policies, taking into account comments received and any relevant
- The decision on whether or not to grant the
application will either be made by a planning officer or by the
relevant planning committee. We decide all planning
applications in accordance with the Delegation scheme
(126kb pdf file).
- Where the application is to be decided by the one of the
council's committees the meeting agendas will be available a week
before the meeting. Meetings are open to the public. We'll notify
the applicant, agent, and anyone who has commented in
writing about a week before to let them know the details
of the committee meeting. Details of
Council agendas, reports and minutes.
- We can grant permission, with appropriate conditions if
necessary, or refuse permission. We'll give reasons for
our decision based on relevant planning issues.
- We'll publish the decision on this website and notify the
applicant or agent of the decision.
Search for the decision using the application number or
- The applicant has a right to appeal a refusal or any
conditions associated with approval. Appeals are dealt with by
the Planning Inspectorate. More about
appealing a decision.
Planning and Regulation
Number One Riverside
Rochdale OL16 1XU
Tel: 0845 121 2973
Email: Development Control