Tell us what you think about our site...
We use cookies to provide the best possible service on our website. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

More information can be found on our privacy policy page
Button to close message regarding cookies (and accept their use)

Apply for building regulations

Do you need to apply for building regulations approval?

You'll need to check if your work requires building regulations approval as not all work requires it. If you don't need building regulations approval you may still need planning permission. Find out if you need planning permission.

Check if building regulations apply

How to apply for building regulations approval

The easiest way is to apply over the phone and pay by debit or credit card. Alternatively you can submit by post or in person at our offices

There are 3 different application types requiring different levels of information, there is only one application form it can be downloaded below.You can now apply for all 3 types of application by telephone,simply call us on 01706 924327 and speak to one of our admin team. You will need a credit or debit card available so we can take payment.

Building Regulation Application Form (125kb pdf)

Please use the' full plans application' for everything other than minor works when applying for building regulations approval before work starts.  Use 'building notices' only for minor works to domestic properties and 'regularisation' for retrospective applications. If you need someone to draw up plans you can use one of our partners

When sending in your application electronically you'll need to send us a pdf version of any drawings to scale. 

Full plans application

You'll need to provide the following with your application:

  • 1 pdf set or 2 paper copies of drawings for the proposed work showing full details of construction and materials to be used, drawn at a scale of 1:50 and not less than 1:100. 3 copies are required if the application relates to a non-domestic building. Drawings should include plans, section and elevations of the work as existing and as proposed.  See full plan example drawing (207kb pdf) 
  • 1 copy of a site location plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250 indicating site boundaries.
  • 1 completed copy of full Plans Building Regulation application form and the correct plan fee for the work.

We'll then check the application to ensure it complies with relevant legislation. You'll need to pay a further fee to cover our inspections when the work starts. 

How much it costs:

Contact us if you're unsure how much to pay.

Building notice (minor works)

You'll need to provide the following with your application:

  • The completed Application form.
  • A site location plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250.
  • The relevant complete fee. 

How much it costs:

Contact us if you're unsure how much to pay. 

Regularisation (Retrospective applications)

If you've already carried out work without approval you'll need to submit a regularisation application to prove you've complied with the regulations at the time of the work.

How much it costs:

Contact us if you're unsure how much to pay.

How to pay fees

Ring us directly on 01706 924327 or our Contact Centre on 0300 303 8889 and tell them you wish to make a building control new application payment; also give the address of the property the fees relate to.

You can pay by VIsa, Mastercard, Solo, Visa Delta, Visa Electron and Maestro.  Please note credit card payments will include a 1.75% administration charge. Alternatively you can pay by cheque or cash at our offices.

When you can start work

You're legally entitled to start work 48 hours after we've accepted your application. We expect builders to have a detailed understanding of the building regulations.

If you start work prior to us approving your application and your building work doesn't comply with the regulations you'll be required to make changes. We strongly recommend you obtain full approval prior to starting work.

Contact us

01706 924327
Emergency: Out of office hours

Building Control
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU

Decision and completion notices

Copy decision notices cost £28 each, copy completion certificates cost £32 each. Email to request a copy and ring us to pay.

We'll supply a copy of the notice when we receive your payment.

Tell us what you think of our service

To leave feedback on our service please email

Recently viewed

Return to top