Extra measures brought in to the borough of Rochdale earlier in July 2020 have been extended from Friday, 31 July 2020. Rochdale Borough Council continues to strongly advise all residents in Heywood, Middleton, Pennines and Rochdale take extra precautions to help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The government announced on Thursday, 30 July 2020 that people from different households are not allowed to meet indoors or in private gardens. You should try not to share a vehicle with anyone outside your household. Up to 2 households (or 6 people from a number of households) may still meet outdoors in public spaces as long as social distancing guidelines are met.
Businesses due to open tomorrow, must now postpone re-opening until at least Saturday, 15 August 2020.
Rochdale Borough Council leader Allen Brett said:
“We understand the government’s action and are broadly supportive of the measures. They are based on evidence that led us to implement our own measures 2 weeks ago. It’s unfortunate that whilst swift action is needed, the government reacted late and as a result rushed through measures without proper consultation, engagement and planning.
"We have been engaging with our communities extensively. They understand the need to implement these kind of measures and have generally responded well to what we have asked to help avoid an even tighter local lockdown being imposed. We are seeking a dialogue with government to ensure the measures are clear and we are likely to suggest minor refinements.”
In addition to the national measures, the borough’s additional guidance, originally introduced on Friday, 17 July 2020 has now been extended until at least Tuesday, 18 August 2020:
- No visitors to your home or garden who are not part of your support bubble.
- Wear face coverings in shops.
- Wear face coverings in public, as much as possible.
- Keep 2 metres apart, at all times.
- Avoid physical contact with anyone outside your own household, including shaking hands or hugging.
- Get tested even if you don’t have symptoms and isolate if you are told to do so.
- Wash or sanitise your hands, whenever possible.
With the majority of coronavirus (COVID-19) infections being mild, or with no obvious symptoms at all, the advice on testing has been updated, with all residents being offered a test even if they don’t have symptoms. More mobile testing centres are opening soon in Littleborough and Heywood in addition to existing sites in Middleton and Rochdale.
The advice will be reviewed again in 2 weeks.
‘It is up to us all to do this’
Director of public health, Andrea Fallon, said:
“We are doing more targeted mass testing and inviting everyone to take a test whether they have coronavirus symptoms or not. Offering a test to all will help ensure we can control the virus as quickly as possible. The borough’s cases remain high and everyone needs to continue following the advice to keep our infection rate down. Follow the rules, be responsible, protect yourself, and by doing that you will protect your family and friends.”
With more testing underway the borough still has the eighth highest rate of infection in England of 27.3 per 100,000, down from fourth on Friday, 17 July 2020.
Council leader Allen Brett added:
“Please remember this deadly virus is still very much with us. People are still dying, we have had deaths in the borough in the last week. This advice applies to every resident in the borough and we must all work together to stop the spread of coronavirus. It is up to us all to do this. We still have the ability to turn the situation around and this is why we are asking everyone to keep following the rules and take up the offer of a test.”
Bookings for 8am-1pm can be booked from 8pm the night before and bookings for 1pm-8pm can be booked from 10am that day.
The council is contacting shielded residents to offer support when shielding ends from Saturday, 1 August 2020.