Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Flooding advice

​​Report flooding and burst water mains

A flooded property is one where flood water has entered the property and includes habitable areas of the property.

Non-emergencies. To report a flood or something that could cause a flood:
  • Use our online form to report fl​oo​​d​i​​​ng​, manhole covers, drains and gullies. These forms are only actioned between 8.30am and 5.30pm, Monday-Friday.
  • Ring our Floodline number on 0300 303 0420 (24 hours). 
  • Ring United Utilities Leakline for flooding from burst pipes on 0800 330 033.
  • Ring United Utilities for flooding from waste water or sewers on 0345 672 3723.
Emergencies. Ring 999 where there is a danger to life


Accessing sandbags: we do not normally supply sandbags to members of the public or businesses for their own use. ​But you can buy unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand from most DIY stores and builders merchants.

Handling and disposing of sand bags: used sand and bags tend to retain contaminants such as sewage and oils when they come into contact with floodwater. Ensure you wear gloves and wash hands thoroughly after handling. Do not place full sandbags or the sand in your household waste. Do not allow children to play with the sand or place it in sand pits due to the risks from possible contamination.

Storing and reusing sandbags: sandbags can be stored for re-use provided they have not been contaminated by flood water.

  • Wherever possible, store full bags that have not come into contact with flood water in a dry shady place to use again.
  • Sacking material is normally biodegradable and will perish if left in place for a long time. It is therefore advisable to empty sacks and keep them dry for re-use and store the sand in your garden, or yard for future use. 
  • ​​​Please do not place full sandbags in your household waste.

Find out about flood warnings in your area

Check for flood alerts with the Environmen​​t Agency ​If you live in an area which is prone to flooding you can register with the Environment Agency for advance warning of any potential flood danger.

What to do before, during and after a flood

There may be health risks due to water-borne infections, chemical contamination and the psychological trauma caused by the flooding.

It's always worth being prepared and protected for any major emergency including a flood:

Information and advice if you've been affected by flooding

Always check before travelling and make sure neighbours are ok.

Help with repairs to rented homes

Repairs to rented homes if you rent your home and you're unsure of who is responsible for repairs​.

Help for landowners to reduce flood risk - slow the flow

Funding may be available for landowners who help reduce the risk of flooding in Littleborough and Rochdale through measures like tree planting, water features, dams and walls. We're working with the Environment Agency and the National Flood Forum and want to talk to the owners of land that's close to or drains into the River Roch and its tributary streams.  This scheme is designed to reduce the rate at which water gets into the river by natural flood management.

If you have land that would be suitable, please contact us to discuss opportunities and how we can help make them happen. Email

Insurance advice

Flood Re is a national scheme designed to help provide better access to affordable home insurance for those in high flood-risk areas across the UK. It represents a long-term, sustainable approach to providing home insurance for those at flood risk.

Contaminated waste

Check with your insurance company before disposing of any damaged goods.