Cycling is a great way to stay healthy and it's good for the environment, too. Rochdale borough enjoys many scenic cycle routes for both commuting and leisure.
We support cycling by providing cycle lanes across the borough.
You can download a map of the cycle lanes in Rochdale borough and the rest of Greater Manchester from the Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) website.
Fix your Bike Voucher Scheme
The government's Fix your Bike Voucher Scheme allows you to receive a voucher worth up to £50 towards the cost of repairing a bicycle.
There are a limited number of vouchers available. Vouchers can only be used with bike repairers or mechanics that are registered for the scheme in England.
If the OVO Energy Tour of Britain has inspired you, there are a number of local clubs which you can join.
Great places to cycle in Rochdale borough
Watch the Ride More Rochdale video to see some of the great places there are to ride your bike across the borough.
Watch the Ride More Rochdale video on Vimeo (2mins 19secs).
Are you thinking of buying a quad bike, mini motorbike or go-ped for your child to ride off-road? Don't - there is nowhere legal to ride them within the borough of Rochdale.
- It's illegal to ride off-road vehicles such as quads, scramblers, mini-motos and go-peds on any public space in the borough of Rochdale. This includes parks, pavements, waste grounds or parkways.
- If one of these bikes is ridden off-road, your child will be breaking the law. There is also a risk of a hefty fine, a Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO), a Community Protection Notice (CPN) or a breach of tenancy.
- Bikes need to be specially built to ride on the road. The rider needs to be over 16 and have registration documents, MOT, road tax, insurance, a license and an approved crash helmet - just like a real motorbike.
- Riders risk serious injury, even death, to themselves and pedestrians.
You can report an off-road biker to:
- The police - ring 101
- Crimestoppers - anonymously ring 0800 555 111
It would be good if you knew the name and address of the rider, what clothing they were wearing, and the type of off-road bike they were riding, such as a quad bike, scrambler, mini-moto or go-ped.
You can try mountain biking at Hollingworth Lake Activity Centre. They run a number of sessions throughout the year for both adults and children.