If you're concerned about food handling practices or standards
of cleanliness then you can contact the Food Safety Team.
- All complaints are dealt with anonymously.
- As part of our investigation we can inspect food premises, take
photographs, interview proprietors and take statements from
- If there's an imminent risk of injury to health we can close a
premises until the problems are dealt with.
If you have a food complaint
Most manufacturers and retailers have a customer complaints
department and we would recommend contacting them in the first
If it's a serious risk to public health contact us.
Find a food hygiene rating
Find out if a restaurant, takeaway or food shop you want to eat
at or buy food from has a good food hygiene rating.
Food poisoning outbreaks
If a number of people ate at the same venue and have the same
food poisoning-type symptoms, this may be due to a food poisoning
Our investigation into the outbreak will involve:
- Interviewing people who are ill.
- Interviewing others who ate at the venue but didn't have
- Taking faecal and food samples (if appropriate).
- Inspecting the implicated venue.
If a business is found to be responsible, action will be
taken to prevent further outbreaks.
Advice on handling, cooking and storing food
Public Protection Service
Number One Riverside
Rochdale OL16 1XU
Tel: 0845 121 2971