In May 2020 the government made additional funding available to top-up the existing Business Grant Scheme.
Phase 2 of the Top Up Grant scheme
Additional funding is available to top-up the existing Business Grant Scheme. This is Phase 2.
We'll deal with each application in line with government guidance. The amount of funding available is limited, therefore, grants will be awarded subject to availability. When deciding an appropriate amount of grant we'll take into account fixed ongoing property costs, whether businesses have had to close completely and are unable to trade online and the consequent scale of impact of COVID-19 losses.
Who can qualify for the grant?
Grants are not available for people who work from home and you cannot apply if your business is in administration, insolvent or has received a striking-off notice.
For us to consider your application during this second phase of grants your business must be in one of the following categories:
- Co-operative businesses and social enterprises - these are businesses with primarily social or environmental objectives and outcomes that generate at least half of their income from trading or contracts rather than grants or donations. This is because social enterprises often reinvest their profits back into their local community. This allows them to tackle social problems, improve people’s life chances, provide training and employment opportunities for those furthest from the market, support communities and help the environment.
- Suppliers of goods and services,
solely to the hospitality and leisure sector - businesses that supply the retail sector are not eligible. This is on the basis that the hospitality sector has been hardest hit and will be the last to fully reopen, and there is limited funding.
And, in line with government guidance
- You must be able to show a significant drop in income since March 2020 due to COVID-19.
- You must not be able to access the Small Business Rates Grant; Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant; or have already received a Top Up grant.
- Your business must have been trading on 11 March 2020.
- Your businesses must be small with under 50 employees.
- Your business occupies property (or part of a property) with a rateable value or annual mortgage or rent payments below £51,000
How to apply for the grant
Deadline for applications: 5pm, Friday, 3 July 2020.
To apply for the grant immediately please:
- Complete the form below and return it to us. You must send us all the documents we have asked for, otherwise we won't be able to consider your application.
- Return the form to us by email: External.Funding@Rochdale.gov.uk or by post to COVID-19 Application, Economic Affairs, Rochdale Borough Council, Floor 3, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU.
- We aim to respond as soon as possible, usually within 8 working days.
Please note that sending personal information back by email may not be secure.
Phase 1 of the Top Up Grant scheme
This phase of the scheme has closed for applications.
The phase 1 funding was for the following government priorities:
- Businesses in multi occupancy premises.
- Bed and breakfasts paying Council Tax.
- Charities that have charitable business rates relief.
With the support of our Counter Fraud Team we'll take steps to minimise the risk of fraudulent grant claims. We have access to the government’s Spotlight tool and may use other external agencies to check data received such as the National Anti-Fraud Network.
On a weekly basis we also report to the government on the development and delivery of the grant funds.
Government information about the top-up grant scheme