Cycle sportive for women
‘Blackstone Vale’ & ‘Blackstone Vale and Moor’
If you’re looking for a cycling challenge in 2017, get stuck into Ride Rochdale, 2 women only cycle rides hosted by double Olympic gold and World Champion cyclist Joanna Rowsell Shand MBE.
We thought it was time to offer women some excellent, hard yet rewarding cycling in a scenic area, chosen for a UK stage of the Tour de France in 2014. It has lots to offer in terms of climbs, descents and amazingly beautiful countryside. The final 5 mile climb up Cragg Vale is well known amongst local cyclists. Now it’s your turn!!
These sportives are not races - they are simply timed events with a fantastic atmosphere that follow a specific pre-planned sign-posted course, allowing you to focus on enjoying the ride. Think London Marathon for cycling!! What's not to love? Rally your friends, get out together and ride!!
Rochdale Borough Council and
Tim Kelly Cycling Coach are behind the new event, registered with British Cycling, featuring a choice of 2 exciting Sportive routes starting and finishing in the borough of Rochdale.
- Blackstone Vale is 50 miles, and Blackstone Vale and Moor is 75 miles.
- You'll be treated to your photo with Joanna on the day.
Tips and opportunities for training, training plans and coaching will be available here soon.
What bike should I ride?
- We'll only accept only road bikes (700c wheels), cyclocross type bikes with slick road tyres and only if you really need to, genuine hybrids with slick road tyres for the 45 mile ride
- We'll only accept road bikes (700c wheels) or cyclocross type bikes with slick road tyres for the 75 mile ride
- No e-bikes or any other type of bike are allowed at this event, including MTBs even if fitted with slick road tyres
Accessible community bike ride
On the same day we're also running an accessible cycling event, offering an opportunity for disabled people to do a bike ride.
Link4Life alongside national organisation cycling projects will provide a wide range of bikes for various routes in and around Kingsway area, ranging from very easy to more challenging rides.
More information on the Wheels for All accessible community bike ride
Connect with us on