Most people submitting new claims or change of circumstances for some benefits will move to Universal Credit in Spring 2018.
How to apply for Universal Credit
- Check your eligibility and apply for Universal Credit online.
- Book an appointment within 7 days of making your application to avoid your claim being cancelled. If your claim is cancelled you'll need to reapply online.
- If your application is successful, you'll get your first payment around 6 weeks after making your online application.
Get ready for Universal Credit
Find out how ready you are for Universal Credit:
Get an advance on your first payment
If you can't manage until you receive your first full payment, you can apply for Universal Credit advance.
There are 4 types of interest free advances:
- Universal Credit Advance - new claim
- Universal Credit Advance - change of circumstances
- Universal Credit Advance - benefit transfer
- Budgeting Advance
An advance payment is 1 full month's entitlement, payable within 5 days of applying, which you'll pay back interest free over 12 months.