Section 150 of the Localism Act 2011 places a duty on all local
authorities to develop and publish a Tenancy Strategy. In line with
the requirements of the above Act, the Tenancy Strategy sets out
the matters to which registered providers of social housing within
the borough must have due regard to when developing their own
Aims and objectives
- Provide guidance for housing providers to inform their policies
and practices to produce appropriate lettings for customers.
- Make best use of the housing stock within the borough.
- Contribute to sustainable communities.
- Provide security of tenure for those households who would be
most vulnerable or disadvantaged by the tenure reforms and
flexibilities within the Localism Act.
- Provide security of tenure for those households who hold
existing tenancy rights.
- Ensure housing providers offer tenants expert and detailed
housing options advice.
- Ensure housing providers offer a fair and transparent review
and appeals process for tenants.
- Contribute to sustaining continuity in children's
- Consider and reflect changes in the Welfare Reform.
Please note this strategy is currently under review.