Since 1 April 2011, there's been a duty on local authorities to provide breaks from caring for families of children with disabilities.
The Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children regulation requires us to publish a Short Breaks Statement for carers in the area so that families know:
- The range of short breaks available.
- How these services can be accessed.
- How the services will meet the needs of families with children with disabilities.
- The criteria for eligibility.
The underlying aims of the regulations are:
- To provide opportunities for children with disabilities to enjoy themselves and fulfil their potential.
- To enhance the abilities of carers to care more effectively.