Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Data Protection Act

​​​​​​​​​​​You have the right to know what information the council holds about you on computer, and to have it corrected if it's wrong.

A request for personal information held by the Local Authority is called a ‘Subject Access Request’ and will be dealt with under the Data Protection Act.

Requesting personal information from us

To request personal information held by us you'll need to:

1. Complete the Subject Access Request form, which will ensure we have all the information needed to complete your request.

2. Send a cheque for £10 payable to ‘Rochdale Borough Council’ to cover the cost of dealing with your request to:

Information Governance Unit
Floor 2
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
OL16 1XU

Unfortunately we cannot search for the requested information until this fee is paid. Please note this fee does not apply to care leavers.​

3. Provide 2 different documents as evidence of your name and current address, you can send copies of these however we reserve the right to ask to see original documents.

All documents will be securely destroyed once we've verified your identity.

You'll receive an acknowledgement as soon as your completed form, fee and ID have all been received, we'll then collect the information you've requested. From the date your documentation is received, we have a duty to provide a response within 40 calendar days.

Purpose of the Act

The Data Protection Act 1998 is designed to cover the collecting, storing, processing and distribution of personal data. It gives rights to individuals about whom information is recorded.

This applies to all individuals whether they are an employee, elected member or a member of the public. Each individual has the right to access personal data, prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress and prevent processing for the purposes of direct marketing.

They also have rights in relation to automated decision taking, to take action for compensation if they suffer damage by any contravention of the Act by the data controller, to rectify, block, erase or destroy inaccurate data and to make a request to the Data Protection Commissioner for an assessment to be made of the data controller if they feel that the Act has been contravened.

The Act places obligations on those who record and use personal data (data controllers). They must be open about the use of such personal data through notification to the Information Commissioner and they must follow sound and proper practices by applying the data protection principles. 


01706 925505

Information Governance Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU ​