Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Accommodation for care leavers

If you're still in care, we'll provide you with accommodation up to the age of 18. If you're over 18, your personal adviser will help you to find suitable accommodation.

You can view some of your options and the support we offer on this page.

Help to get your first house

As part of your Pathway Plan, your social worker and personal advisor will help you choose the most appropriate accommodation to meet your needs. This may include

  • Taster flats - live on your own for a short period of time before deciding whether you're ready to rent your own house or flat on a long term basis.
  • Supported accommodation - this is a stepping stone to renting your own house or flat. Help is on hand for day-to-day tasks such as budgeting, cooking and shopping. Most people tend to stay in supported accommodation for between 6 months and 2 years.
  • Renting your own house or flat - when you're ready, talk to your social worker or personal advisor who will help you decide whether it's the right time to find independent accommodation.

Setting up home allowance

When you move into your own house or flat, you'll receive an allowance of £2,000 to help you set up home. You won't receive this when you move in to taster flats or supported accommodation as they're fully furnished.

This is not a lot of money when trying to buy everything for your first home. It’s important that you spend some time working out what you need and how much it all costs. You can ask for help from your foster carer, personal advisor, residential worker, social worker or someone else you feel comfortable with.

It's helpful to list the items you may need when moving into your first home to decide whether you can afford everything you want. You may want to shop around and find alternatives. You can do this online with your social worker or personal advisor, or plan a visit to local shops. Have a look around at home and check things against the list with your foster carer or residential worker.

Related pages


0300 303 0440

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm.

Cared For Children's Team
Floor 3, Fashion Corner
57-59 Drake Street
Rochdale OL16 1XL