Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Tell Us Once

​​​​​​​When someone has died there are a lot  of things that need to be done and often at a time when you least feel like doing them.  One of those things is registering the death with the registrar.  Once that is done, several organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information.

'Tell us once' is a service where we help you give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions, they then pass it on to a number of other government departments and local authority services.

How you can contact us to use the service

There are different ways you can use the service:

In person:  If you are registering the death of a Rochdale resident  you can contact

  • Rochdale Register Office (phone 01706 924785) or
  • Bury Register Office (phone 0161 253 6026)

you will be offered the service automatically during your appointment.

By appointment: Once the death has been registered you can make an appointment to see an advisor at a customer service centre in either Rochdale, Heywood or Middleton.

By telephone: If you would like to speak to someone on the phone, please call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308 after you have registered the death.  The lines are open Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm.

This number is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers, including mobile phone providers may charge you.  If you don't speak English call 0800 085 7308 and an advisor and an interpreter will call you back and help you.

Who we can give the information to

We will contact the following organisations on your behalf:

We can also contact the following services, if you ask us to:

  • Council Housing (RBH)
  • Blue badges
  • Adult Services
  • Children's Services
  • Collection of payment for Council Services
  • Licensing
  • Electoral Services
  • Council Tax/Business rates
  • Education Benefits
  • Housing Benefit office
  • Council Tax Benefit office

How we will treat the information you give us

We will treat all the information you give us securely.  The organisations we give your information to will use it to update records; to end services, benefits and entitlements as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues.  They may use the information we give them in other ways, but only as the law allows.

Next of kin

If you are the next of kin you may be entitled to an increase in benefits, so please have your National Insurance number to hand when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the estate of the deceased, you can still use the service if you have the authority to act on their behalf.

Please remember that is is still your responsibility to make sure any organisation that pays you a benefit has correct and up-to date information.

Information you will need to use the service

We want to make sure we give the right information to any organisations we contact. So we will need the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving.
  • Their death certificate.
  • Their driving licence or driving licence number.
  • Their passport or passport number.

We may also ask for information about:

  • Their next of kin, including their national insurance number.
  • Any surviving husband, wife or civil partner.
  • Their driving licence or licence number.
  • Anybody who is getting child benefit on their behalf.
  • The person dealing with the estate.

You must obtain the agreement of the persons listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.