Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Benefits and financial advice for armed forces personnel

​​​​​​​​​​​If you've served in the armed forces and need some help with benefits and financial advice the links to organisations on this page may help you.

  • Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support: War Disablement Pension, War Widow’s Pension or War Widower’s Pension will not be taken into account when calculating income for Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax support.
  • Council Tax discounts and exemptions​ From Tuesday, 1 April 2014, if you are a member of the armed forces and your property is deemed to be your sole or main residence, if your absence is a result of your service you will be eligible for a 100% discount.
  • Discretionary Crisis Fund A fund aimed at helping people who find themselves in a crisis. If you're leaving or have just left the armed forces, and are moving in to new accommodation then the fund may be able to help you acquire essential household items.
  • Moneyforce The home of money advice for UK Service personnel and their families. It includes an innovative budget planner, car cost calculator and credit forecaster.
  • The Royal British Legion Offers a range of financial assistance services, including benefits and money advice, grants and loans. If you have a compensation claim arising from your Service the Legion can help you through the process under the War Pensions Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.
  • The MOD Army Provides details about cash grants available to dependents of soldiers who die in service.
  • The Royal Navy Provides guidelines for serving personnel arranging a marriage or who are pregnant, and information about making a will. They also advise serving personnel which organisations to speak to about a range of financial and legal issues including debts and free legal advice for serving people and their families.
  • Veterans UK Provides a full range of information for people injured, disabled or bereaved by the service, including details of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, War Disablement Pensions and Armed Forces Pensions.
  • Service Personnel and Veterans Agency pensions forms Use these forms when claiming pensions under Armed Forces Pension Schemes 75 and 05. 
  • The Army Families Federation (AFF) Independent of the Army and offers confidential advice on a range of welfare issues including money matters and family life. AFF works at a local level directly with families and local command.
  • Make the most of your money Ways to manage and save your money and get help in an emergency.




01706 924279

Phone: Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

Out of hours emergencies​

Number One Riverside
Floor 2
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU